Sunday, July 26, 2009

Code Geass fist and second season (in short)

The guy whoms' name caught the attention of those looking for uniqueness, "Lu-something", passionate poses with montioned hands and body, a smirk or some eye-catching cocky or frustrated melo-drama expressions across his face, making fanarts crawl beneath his dark dramatic cape looking as dull as kindergarden scraps... oh and that yelling fan service generic endless fosforent green hair... Indeed, I watched Code Geass and liked it so I wanted to do a short rant about the series and as well a conclusion to it.

Code Geass was for me a 'finally something fun anime to watch after Death Note' (Leaving Ouran Highschool Host Club that is/coming soon), of course, you can't really compare both series, while one is colorful, action packed and just entertaining to watch Death note was simply epic in the way how it concluded all the twists and turns of the series, and seriuos toned. It's a must in my list, but well, Death note ranting comes way later. There's people out there that compare these series with each other, fine by me as long as they don't compare the moods and general atmosphere, which is too diferent to compare.
Code Geass was an anime I enjoyed seeing, sure, the beginning will sound a but in the generic side but later on they make it fun. Why is it that enjoyable? The series give you a decent plot and turn of events, a likeable character with development (not to mention a great model for avatars and wallpapers), none annoying and tiring machina cover, and lastly the art which is something you'll at times find it cool and mostly in the beginning deformed (not used too), never did bother me so much though and I actually find this a good job from Clamp (oohhh the poses/this is gonna be a fun point, keep on reading).
Lelouch is the character I was talking about earlier if you ever doubted, the main character and lead of the series, he has a rather generic build and general features but I guess that seeing him among his own (in the series) he gets his 'uniqueness'. You'll get a extremly repetitive generic past, it's not something I'm willing much bashing because it's simply not worth it, I even get the feeling the anime at times try to ignore some past stuff just for the sake of fun and actions, besides, you can deal quite a sum ignoring the clicheƩ past things easily, in other words, it won't pester you and annoy you till it makes you stop watching it, at least not not till they talk about REVENGE BAAWWWW(at least for me), it was always on the run so those things are really just points that are added and not much missed. By the way, the BAAWWWW of revenge isn't soo baawwish.
Another factor at this character likeness was, apart from being a pretty pretty beautiful ilustration model, the very fact that anime shows his life as this super kick ass masked general while having a 'ordinary' life in school, why 'ordinary', well, he is the Rebellius Lelouch of the Rebellion, at some point this actually intertwines creating new twists and critical points even in Lelouchs' bath (just kidding), in his ordinary lifestyle as a refugee student, so yeah, feeling identified with Luli is gonna be one of the strong points in appeal. Before I start with the characters I'd like to continue to the story and setting.
I will try not to spoil for the sake of those who haven't seen it so here goes a general sum up in the different areas.

The setting was for me one of those things I liked as I kept on seeing it, I repeat myself, the beginning would sound a bit too clicheƩd but it actually turns fun and not so repetitive, this is due to the quick pace turn of events that seriuosly many anime out there are lacking.
So rest assured, the plot will never stop, it will always unfold and for my taste develops pretty decent to the extent of liking it and watching it with interest. I guess this point is one of those things that make many compare Code Geass and Death Note though seriuosly, it's too diferent to compare. As a quick intro, you get that Japan is beneath the empire of Britain-I mean Britannia and well, they are treated like losers so some grow to the rebellion side while others stay away from the plot clutches and participate as the screen figurines of abuse and story telling-sum ups. You get the japan world with people who really are no different from each other (between the two main sides in this (japan/britanian), they don't have slanted eyes nor anything that tell them apart, everybody with crazy hair, some less than others, and well, I guess it all resides in when they mention about it, oh well, Code Geass really didn't give heck in this aspect and such 'detail'/aspect didn't cause me pain whatsoever.
So yeah, the setting can sound really lame but it's actually kinda fun. The summitment to this huge Empire which will cause later rebellion and decent development in this area.

Leaving aside the eye thing/geass, the story and how the plotline develops is what most kept me seeing it, I already did a sum up before so you get the idea, decent plot twists and fun turn of events where you can actually see some 3d ness in the actions and characters, especially their reations and general atitudes to given circumstances, you might think this sounds extremly vague but I just can't tell much of spoilers so just stick to that vague idea, the plot, how it turns and the character mannerism are fun to watch.
Of course, the strongest point about the plot is, as Death note (just the idea), how Lelouch keeps on rising and rising the bar of consequences, I still remmember my little brother watching the series and everytime he'd finish a episode he'd say 'this is turning so more messed up'. That's all I'll leave saying from this element.
There's this obviuos not constantly annoying 'simbolism' that is between chess (The dark king meeehh...) and other stuff, but well, it's just all plain to see, I just wanted to add this because it kinda does go on.
Suming up this series (the first) is this:


About the characters, well, don't expect uniqueness and differentation between this series with others, I have to say though, it IS clamp and for what it has done it's not shabby nor bad at all, some expressions and scenes are really well done.
Apart from Lelouch, we have the fan-service n°1 before Kallen called C.C, pronounced C-2, something from her I totally guarantee is that the first impressions on her modeling and posing in great part of the art you'll get on google are not really much of her personality in the series, sure, she does 'care' of lelouch in some way but, seriuosly, all the art I was looking for this rant appeared the most generic of damsel-in-distress character with overflowing green hair, sure, it adds a 'drama' to the poster and all but really, she isn't what you expect and I'll just leave it to that, it just felt neccesary to say.
This series is appealing to boys and girls in the character area, girls because, well, just look at the clean colors and super outfits, and boys is ocassionaly mainly because of the fan service area, I'm not talking about the innocent fan service I talked about in the 07-ghost thing (apart from the yaoi refferences), it rounds up in this:

I have actually nothing agaisnt it and I know I'm just stating the obviuos but I felt like saying that one of the big characteristics of the female characters are their well done body, too well done.
So yes, you'll get fun characters to look at and it's all thanks to the art, aren't you happy boys.
Apart from the fan service we have, the never missing, shaoran (or however you write it) or Syoran of the series, yes, and this time he's not called syaoran nor is paired up with another brown-ette called sakura, he drives a hell patlabour in the name of justice, ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you Syoran in his latest evolutions:

Oh yeah and he's extremly japanese, anyway, he is japanese and this factor kinda is shown as a downfall on his world boo hoo, oh well.
I repeat myself, this japanese/britannia physical equality is not really bothering.
It's a fair gama of character variation and you'll get, as animeish as you can get, a rather satisfactory variety of characters, from nerdy, motherly, innocentish, teenage, dominatrix lookings.

About the art, well, as you could have seen from before it's really clean, when I was watching it I couldn't cease to think that nowadays the hunger of espectators go to the vector arts looking, I have nothing agaisnt, I like it too.
You'll get the big eyes, not annoying just big (I guess it's because the not so much use of dazzling ad gliterring white dots in the eye). All the characters looked as if:
1) Did a ritual in order to always stay as a stick build (mostly guys), cough cough-clamp.
2) All the girls in the backscene take some kinda of drug that make their physical extremly fan service-ish.
As said before, you get used to the art at some point, at least me, I guess it's because they aren't as bland as what many of us understand from their looks.
What I especially liked was the general fluent and smooth way of going with the actions in the scenes and art in general, well achieved for being such an anime.
As mentioned before, the expressions done by the characters go towards the genuine side and well, I would love to put some examples but I'm afraid it'll lead to spoilers, excluiding of course our dear model lulu;
Ok fine, the 'crazy' factor here is due to the crazy grin going over board on his left side.
Something that sooner or later you'd ask if you haven't seen the series yet is if Lelouch is crazy or just does it for fashion, I respond in the following manner; see the series and you'll understand, it's much more fun really to see it yourself than reading it in some rant.
Though, I have to say before you get dissapointed, it's more inclined to the fashion sense and camera capture just before they yell 'CUT. Excellent lulu, as always'.


For a sum up and conclusion I leave saying that this series is simply fun to watch, there are many factors on whom you can perfectly bash about for a whole year but it's just not worth it because the animes' charm really resides on the plot. So yeah, for those who haven't seen it I recommend them the series, it's not those to think hard or anything evangelion ish, it's just action packed and direct to the point, factors I like.
The reason why I didn't refer much to the sequel, Code Geass R2, was because, well, the first Code geass is enough for you to understand what goes about, maybe I'll do it in a near future, when I feel it's right.

In the following spaces I wish to show the general view of the series side art or general artwork for you to understand the liking to the series because of the posers and the frustation of those fanartists that have to deal with the great gama of stuff the artwork offers, it's clamp dear ones how can you possible expect to win them over character fanart-pimping-ism?
Be my guest:

































































































0 comments:

Post a Comment